The historic Sun Oak home can be found in the Faubourg Marigny, former site of the plantation of Bernard de Marigny. The site’s first structure was a brick-between-post cottage built by Constance Rixner Bouligny, a free woman of color who purchased the property in 1806 after de Marigny subdivided the property and named the street Rue Craps, now Rue Burgundy. Bouligny lived in the cottage until 1836, when it was purchased by Asher Moses Nathan, a Dutch Jewish immigrant who turned the cottage into present day house, expanding and rebuilding while incorporating parts of the original structure. Although the structure as it appears today was built before the Civil War, the home did not receive the name Sun Oak until it was purchased by preservationist educators Eugene Cizek and Faia and Lloyd Sensat in 1976. Today, Sun Oak House is an homage to the 20th century renaissance of Creole New Orleans and has been fully restored. Although it is a private home, it can be viewed by the public with an appointment. You can find more information on Sun Oak House here, or join one of our city tours to see the exterior of the home for yourself.
Sun Oak House
Jul 23, 2013 | History