The historic Uptown neighborhood of New Orleans, a favorite for both visitors and locals, was originally countryside full of large sugar plantations lined up along the Mississippi River. Sugar plantations needed to have easy access to the market in order to ship out barrels of molasses and get goods to come in–although most were growing whatever goods they needed and were largely self-sufficient. Subsequently, they always preferred to be located along with the river, which was the main thoroughfare for transportation in the area. It wasn’t until the 19th century that the farm land of the Colonial-era plantations began to be developed further. Several sections of the neighborhood were originally developed as separate towns, including Lafayette, Jefferson City, Greenville, and Carrollton. Today the names of these towns represent smaller neighborhoods within the Uptown district, as they were all annexed by the city of New Orleans during the late 1800s. When the last two towns of Lafayette and Carrollton were annexed in 1874 the entire area was given a new name it still carries today, Uptown New Orleans. Uptown quickly became a popular place to settle, first by people from other parts of the United States and then by immigrants, mostly those of Italian, Irish, and German descent. Today, the neighborhood continues to be eclectic and full of a variety of people, with many excellent local restaurants and beautiful historic homes.
The History of Uptown New Orleans
Aug 21, 2013 | History